The Texas Board of Professional Geoscientists is committed to delivering outstanding customer service delivered in accordance with the highest standards of professionalism, ethics, accountability and efficiency. We are pleased to develop this Compact with Texans as we endeavor to provide total customer satisfaction. Should you require our assistance or wish to file a complaint with the agency please call or write to:
The Texas Board of Professional Geoscientists licenses three disciplines of geoscience: Geology, Geophysics and Soil Science. TBPG Licensing staff of the Texas Board of Professional Geoscientists assist with the following steps regarding licensure:
- Application for Professional Geoscientist Licensure
- Assistance, Review, and Evaluation of Geoscience Experience
- Coordination and Administration of Licensing Examinations
- Professional Geoscientist License Renewal
TBPG provides applicants with all the information and applicable forms for becoming a licensed Professional Geoscientist, conducting the initial review and evaluation of each applicant’s geoscience experience. For licensure as a geologist, TBPG coordinates the administration of the ASBOG’ exam, which is comprised of two four-hour national geology examinations: the Fundamentals of Geology Examination and the Practice of Geology Examination. TBPG also administers the Texas Geophysics examination, and provides registration information regarding the Council of Soil Science Examiners national exam. TBPG provides instructions and forms necessary for the annual renewal of all geoscience licenses, registrations, and certifications. TBPG also handles the maintenance of each license record. All pertinent information and forms relative to the licensing and examination processes may be accessed from www.tbpg.state.tx.us. For additional information or further assistance, please contact us at (512) 936-4408.
TBPG also coordinates:
- Maintenance and support of the TBPG website and all online system features
- Preparation and distribution of TBPG Publications including but not limited to the TBPG statute and rules, and the biennial TBPG Newsletter
- Policy Advisory Opinions
- TBPG rule updates
- Regular communication with licensees and TBPG Stakeholders
- Compliance with the Texas Open Meetings Act and Public Information Act
TBPG also enforces the Texas Geoscience Practice Act:
- Receives and investigates complaints against licensed Professional Geoscientists
- Receives and investigates complaints against unlicensed entities who practice geoscience activities before the public in Texas
- Works with other State agencies to establish Memorandums of Understanding and Cooperation
TBPG provides our customers with the instructions and forms necessary for filing a complaint against either a licensed professional geoscientist or an unlicensed imposter. The division conducts investigations based on the allegations and findings, and recommends possible sanctions subject to Board approval when a violation of the Texas Geoscience Practice Act has occurred. The Enforcement Division also provides guidance to our customers concerning geoscience activities in Texas. For additional information or further assistance, please contact TBPG’s Enforcement Team.
The Texas Board of Professional Geoscientists is honored to serve the citizens of Texas, other state agencies and local governments in Texas. We hope that the information we have provided has been helpful and we will continue to do the best job we can in honoring the public’s trust.
Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.